Acknowledgements

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - West African Proverb

Acknowledgements:

FCS Kali San Diego - Established September 25th, 2011

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Morning Practice

Today I did a 3 hour practice with the San Diego group, it was only 4 of us.   I even took my son for the first time to practice, I was proud that when I was getting ready this morning, my son came up to me asking if he could go, I didn't tell him or force him to go, this was on his own.  This practice was more or less going over some basic stuff since my son was with us, we worked out on what we have seen and read from notes, and reviewed over from what we could remember from the seminars.   It was fun seeing my son practice the basics with us, footwork with the male-female formations, some blocking techniques and the basic 12 strikes.   I think my son is more a natural in these movements than myself, good for him!  We're practicing so the next time Rich comes out, we're ready for whatever he throws us, hopefully the muscle memory doesn't fail us!   It's a great session whenever I practice with the group, I come out all sweaty and loose, and feeling awkward at the start, but feeling I've made progress by the end of the session.

There was a nice break during the session, when a couple of our wives joined in momentarily, trying the footwork moves.  It was amusing to see them carrying on as if it were an aerobics or Zumba class step, but hey it's a start, hopefully we can get them to practice with us more seriously next time!  I should have taken some pictures! LOL!  I'll bring a camera next time.

Anyways, I need to be more mindful of my angles when doing siniwali as I hit my training partners knuckles a couple times today, I'll be working on my strikes on my eskrima striking pole - I'll take a picture of how that's setup and post it here.

Peace out... and more to come.

Maraming Salamat,


Erwin G.

No comments:

Post a Comment